Tashi cooks : Desi Steak with Mushroom Sauce
Putting together a restaurant-style meal at home can be tiring. Nevertheless, who wouldn't want to cook a fancy meal at home for a special occasion. Be it to surprise your BAE, impress your guests over lunch or to celebrate a special family occasion, a good meal goes directly to the heart. Being a vegetarian I am tired of non-vegetarians having so many options when it comes to an ornate continental meal. This same thought inspired me to cook a decorated, yet simple Paneer Steak at home. Of-course being a desi Indian at heart, I have given it a twist to satisfy my desi heart. Without further ado let us dive in straight to the recipe!
- 500 gm Paneer
- 4 bread slices
- 6 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Green chilies (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp cornflour (for dusting)
- Salt to taste
- 200 gm Mushroom
- 1 diced Onion
- 150 ml milk (more/less depending on your choice of consistency)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp Butter
- Salt to taste
How to conquer it
- Boil the paneer for about 5 minutes (or until soft) in hot salt water. If you are using fresh paneer you can skip this step, but for store-bought (packaged) ones it is important to do this.
- Add all the ingredients for Paneer steak in a large bowl and mash it till it forms an even dough. (DO NOT USE WATER/LIQUID)
- In a pan heat oil.
- Form round/square kinda structures with the dough you made above. This might be a little challenging, you can use a flat surface to do so. Now your steak is ready to be fried.
- Dust the steak with some cornflour.
- Shallow fry it from both sides in the pan.
- Be careful while turning it, use a thin flat spatula.
- Fry it till your desired level.
- Tada your steak is ready!
- Heat a pan with a teaspoon of butter.
- Add the diced onions.
- Fry the onions till brown.
- Add mushroom and fry till they caramelize (They will turn dark brown, you should do this on high heat).
- Add milk and slow cook it till the milk is thick.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Grind it in a mixer finely, alternatively use a hand blender.
- Add 1 tsp butter in a fresh pan.
- Add the ground mushroom sauce, and thicken, thin it by adding more milk, till your desired consistency.
- Tada your accompanying mushroom sauce is ready!
Serving Tip: Serve with a side of steamed veggies and get ready to receive a bunch of praises!
Connect with me here.